When Lawrence incorporated as a city in 1853 municipal government changed from a board of five selectmen to a mayor, a board of six aldermen, and a common council of eighteen. In 1911 city government changed to a mayor and four aldermen. This was eventually superseded by a government of a mayor and nine member City Council in 1983.
Front left to right: Joseph A. Woodhall, John F. Kane (mayor), John Joseph Breen, and Michael M. Garvey. Back: Cornelius J. Corcoran (city clerk), Edward A. Dolan, John Tobin, and John F. Young.